Show off your shady style
This Heartland Weekend, we encourage you to show off your shady style.
We’re talking about your sunglasses. According to Leet Eyecare, “sunnies” are the most important accessory to taking your summer to new sights.
We chatted with Dr. Dohogne to find out why you should make sunglasses a part of your every day “out-the-door” routine.
Top 5 Things You Need to Know about UV Eye Protection
- Despite the health risks of UV exposure, not all sunglasses have UV protection. Since UV protection is crucial to shielding eyes from damaging radiation, it is imperative to look for a label, sticker or tag indicating UV protection before purchasing a pair of sunglasses.
- UV protection has nothing to do with the darkness or color of a lens. Wearing sunglasses with dark lenses without adequate UV protection can actually be worse than wearing no sunglasses at all because they cause the eye’s pupil to dilate, which then increases retinal exposure to the unfiltered UV.
- Children receive three times the annual sun exposure of adults, increasing their susceptibility to UV eye damage. And, unlike the mature ocular lens of an adult eye, a child’s immature lens cannot filter out UV as easily. The need for UV protection for children is compounded by the fact that it is easier to find youth sunglasses that do not provide adequate UV protection. That’s why parents should always have their children‘s sunglasses tested for UV protection.
- UV rays are just as dangerous on cloudy days as they are on clear days. Just like skin, eyes can accumulate harmful UV radiation on overcast days so be sure to wear proper eye and skin protection while outside.
- Similar to cloudy days, cold days also carry UV risk. The sun is present year-round, which means UV rays are a constant regardless of weather. UV rays can’t be seen, but their long-term effects are extremely damaging to the eyes.
June 27 is National Sunglasses Day.
You can celebrate by posting a #SunglassSelfie of yourself in your sunglasses to the social media channel of your choice using #NationalSunglassesDay.
In need of a new pair?
Leet Eyecare specializes in making sure you can maintain clear vision for years to come.
That includes helping you find the right pair of sunglasses.
Find them online here, or make an appointment at one of their three locations.