The Sikeston Jaycees have this southern favorite boiled down to a science.
Despite the ongoing pandemic and social distancing orders, a Sikeston tradition is returning.
The Jaycee Crawfish Boil and Music Festival is set to take over the rodeo grounds on May 30.
Safety is the number one priority.
That is why the Jaycees are making a lot of changes to be able to host the crawfish boil and meet the governor’s orders.
“We kind of tackled it the Jaycee way,” Clay Driskill said, the event chairman. “We’re not going to give up. We’re going to accept that challenge and tackle it head-on. We decided this is for the community. It’s a fundraiser for us that goes right back into the community but this year’s a little different. It’s our way of saying we can adapt to the changes and have a good time doing it.”
Here’s what you can expect at this year’s crawfish boil:
- The Jaycees have moved the fun to the field behind the rodeo grounds, so people have more than 20 acres to spread out.
- There will be handwashing stations all over the grounds.
- There will be extra points of entry.
- There will be extra food lines.
- The Jaycees have set up a new drive-thru option so you don’t even have to get out of your car to get a plate of crawfish.
- Members will also be taking extra precautions in preparing and serving the food.
- Event workers will be provided with masks and gloves.
The Jaycees said making these changes is worth it.
“We really truly need to have these events,” Ethan Vasquez said, president of the executive board. “Gives a little hope out there to people, you know with this whole COVID pandemic going on and stuff, so you know ‘hey, come on out and support us.'”
Driskill said this year’s crawfish boil will fell a bit more like a festival.
You can bring your lawn chair, a picnic blanket, even some yard games as long as you can use them at a safe distance from others.
The fun will start at 2 p.m.
Live music will fill the rodeo grounds all afternoon.
The lineup includes Little Texas, Hunter Hathcoat Band, and Heat & the A.C.’s.
Tickets are on sale now.
CLICK HERE to get yours.