Red wine and brownies are a match made in heaven
Yes, you can actually have your wine and eat it too.
Let us at Heartland Weekend introduce you to boozey brownies.
The folks over at Starview Vineyards gave us this idea.
We were talking about ways to use leftover wine when Regina Morrison revealed to us a way you can bake with wine.
All you need is your favorite boxed brownie mix and replace the called for oil with your favorite red wine.
In this case, we suggest chambourcin because the grapes grow really well in this area.
You could also use merlot or a fruit wine like strawberry or cherry.
- 1 box your favorite brownie mix
- Ingredients cake mix calls for, minus the oil (eggs, water)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix the brownie mix according to the directions on the box, substituting the amount of oil called for with the same amount of wine.
- Bake the brownies according to the directions on the box, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After the brownies cool completely, combine a tablespoon of wine at a time to the powdered sugar until you get a smooth consistency. Drizzle over top of the brownies and let them set before cutting.
Of course there are plenty of other ways you can use wine in your cooking.
- In pasta sauces: Simmered along with the food, wine can add flavor and moisture to your favorite savory dish. You can especially use red wine in your red pasta sauce.
- As a marinade: Wine helps tenderize the outside of the meat, adds a lot of flavor and can keep the meat moist.
- In cake: Use your favorite white wine.