CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) - The annual Soap Box Derby was held Saturday morning, May 6.
The Soap Box Derby Mike Rushing Championship Circle included:
- 1st place Stock Division winner - #14 Annabelle Fortner, sponsored by Cape Rotary
- 1st place Super Stock Division winner - #SS69 Greta Dittmer, sponsored by Cape Rotary
- 2nd place Stock Division winner - #75 Cole Shelton, sponsored by New McKendree UMC
- 2nd place Super Stock Division winner - #SS72 Jacob Koenig, sponsored by New McKendree UMC
- 3rd place Stock Division winner - #108 Eli Fortner, sponsored by Rushing Marine Service
- 3rd place Super Stock Division winner - #SS201 Bailey Carr, sponsored by Webb Racing Team
- 4th place Stock Division winner - #81 Parker Pylate, sponsored by Rushing Marine Service
- 4th place Super Stock Division winner - #SS83 Melanie Sandler, sponsored by Owen Sandler
Sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Rotary Club, it’s held on North Sprigg Street between Bertling Street and Lexington Avenue.
Girls and boys ages 7 to 18 raced Saturday morning through the afternoon.
The son of Mike Rushing, Todd, said it’s a special day, and hoped people will remember his father and his love for soapboxing.
“He would like to say this is all about building kids, not building cars,” Todd said.
Mr. Mike, as some called him, spent decades working with the Cape Girardeau Rotary to help create the next generation of Soap Box Derby racers.
One kiddo named Parker explained what it’s like to actually race.
“It feels like 10 minutes, but really it’s like five seconds,” he said.
Another kiddo, Eli agreed. He said, “it felt like I was flying.”
As for future generations of soap boxers, Todd shared his father’s goal.
“His only goal was to help kids,” he said. “He just wanted to help kids grow and get better and this is one way he could do that.”
You can click here for more information.
Copyright 2023 KFVS. All rights reserved.