Thank you for defending our freedoms!
November 11 is a day set aside to honor military veterans. Veterans Day celebrates all those who served in the armed services. In the Heartland, there are various events planned for you to show your appreciation to the brave men and women who served.
Some businesses are even offering deals specifically for Veterans.
- Nov. 9: Advance Schools invite veterans for a pancake breakfast beginning at 8 a.m.. The History Department of Advance Schools will honor veterans with a meal that includes pancakes, bacon, and biscuits and gravy. Veterans are invited to stay for an assembly in the Advance Gymnasium at 10 a.m. following breakfast.
- Nov. 11: Veterans will be honored for their service during a ceremony at the Bloomfield Veterans Cemetery. The program will begin at 1 p.m.
- Cape Girardeau
- Nov. 11: The VFW Post 3838 & Auxilary, and the Joint Veterans Council will honor Veterans at the Memorial Plaza at Cape County Park North at 1 p.m. The guest speaker is Missouri Lt. Governor Peter Kinder. Other guests include area Veterans, Congressman Jason Smith, Senator Wayne Wallingford, State Rep. Kathy Swan, State Rep. Donna Lichtenegger, Cape Mayor Bob Fox, Cape Police and Jackson Police. The Jerry Ford Patriotic Band will play music. Food and drinks served.
- Nov. 11: Honor the service of our veterans with a drive through the Avenue of Flags at Cape County Park North. Around 450 flags will line the drive, each bearing the name of a Cape County veteran.
- Nov. 11: The Veterans Day Parade through Uptown Jackson will begin at 4 p.m. The parade route begins at the intersection of S. High St. and W. Madison St., proceeds north on S. High St. towards the courthouse for two blocks, turns west onto W. Main St., continues west on W. Main St. for two blocks, and turns south onto S. Russell Ave.
- Nov. 12 at 9:15 a.m.: The community of Sikeston will observe Veterans Day with a ceremony at the Sikeston Field House on Monday, Nov 12 starting at 9:15 a.m. Local veterans from the American Legion and VFW will participate along with the Sikeston High School band, choir & orchestra. The Sikeston National Guard will post the colors and provide the 21 gun salute. Honored guest and speaker will be LTC Thomas Carr, USAF (RET) who is a highly decorated combat veteran in our fight against terrorism. He participated in more than 660 combat hours in the war and dedicated 30 years of his life to the defense of this great nation. Carr retired from active duty in April of this year.
- Nov. 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Pay tribute to the service men and women during an open house at Missouri’s National Veterans Memorial. The Southeast Missouri State University Explorer Bus will be on site with a WWI exhibit.
- Poplar Bluff
- Nov. 9 at 6 p.m.: Three Rivers College’s annual Veterans Day observance
- Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.: The Poplar Bluff Veterans Council’s annual Veterans Day observance at the Veterans’ Wall in Poplar Bluff.
- Nov. 11 at 2 p.m.: In honor of the 100th anniversary of the WWI Armistice, the Poplar Bluff Municipal Library is hosting a commemoration event Sunday, Nov. 11. The library has invited speakers to talk about the following topics: historical look at veteran’s benefits, the use of animals for military transportation, and the roles of women in WWI. The Poplar Bluff High School U.S. Army Jr. ROTC will present the colors to open the discussion. At the end of the hour-long commemoration, there will be a question and answer session along with refreshments provided by the Poplar Bluff Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Nov. 11 at 2 p.m.: The annual Veterans Day parade begins from the Anna City Park entrance on Davie St. and follows Main St. to Jefferson St. and back to the park.
- Nov. 11 at 2 p.m.: Join Southern Illinois University Carbondale and the City of Carbondale in honoring our veterans at Veterans Memorial Plaza (corner of Washington and E. Main Street). The 2018 Veterans Day Ceremony will begin at 2 pm.
- Nov. 11 at 10 a.m.: The Du Quoin Chamber of Commerce will host its 2018 Du Quoin Veteran’s Day-Main Street Parade Sunday, Nov. 11. Line-up for this year’s parade will start at 9:15 a.m., with the parade to begin at 10 a.m.
- Nov. 10 at 11 a.m.: Each year a Veteran’s Day Ceremony is held in Murphysboro. The annual Veterans Day service program will be held at the Murphysboro American Legion, located at 1700 Gartside St. This year’s memorial line up will be a special one.
- Nov. 12 at 9:45 a.m.: The Paducah Parks & Recreation Department and the Veterans Day Planning Committee invite the public to attend the Veterans Day Opening Ceremony and Parade on Monday, Nov. 12. Events will begin with the dedication ceremony for the Global War on Terror Memorial at 9:45 a.m. at the Dolly McNutt Memorial Plaza. The opening ceremony for the parade will begin at 10:15 a.m. at the Korean War Monument located on the 6th Street side of Dolly McNutt Memorial Plaza. The annual parade will begin at 11 a.m. at 6th and Washington Streets. It will travel along Washington Street until it turns right on Walter Jetton Boulevard. It will then turn right on Broadway and head toward the riverfront. At 2nd Street, it will turn left and disband in the parking lot adjacent to the Farmers’ Market.
- Nov. 10 at 8:30 a.m.: The Marshall County Veterans Support Group will host a special Veterans Day Ceremony. Events will begin with a parade at 9 a.m. It will travel along Vine Street, US Highway 68 heading west to the entrance to Mike Miller Park, and Mike Miller Park’s roadway to the Jerry English Veterans Memorial Plaza. The Veterans Day Ceremony will be conducted at the Jerry English Veterans Memorial Plaza starting at 11 am.
Deals for veterans
- The Landings at Reed Station Crossing is honoring veterans with free breakfast from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 12.
- Sugarfire Smoke House will honor veterans on Sunday, Nov. 11. From 11 a.m. until sold out, all veterans and ex-military will receive a free special of their choice.
- Veterans can enjoy a free brunch buffet at Isle Casino® Cape Girardeau on Sunday, Nov. 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wings Etc. South East Missouri-Area Locations are proud to honor all who served with a free entrée* up to $10.
- All Great Clips locations will offer a free haircut to veterans and active service members. Anyone who gets a haircut on Nov. 11 will be given a free haircut card to give to a veteran as a thank you.
- Denny’s is offering free, a free Grand Slam breakfast from Denny’s from 5 a.m. to noon Monday
- At Texas Roadhouse, get a free meal, including sides and a beverage, from the lunch menu.
- At Golden Corral, current and active duty military and reservists can enjoy a free meal at the buffet from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday. The meal includes a free beverage.
- To say thanks, Bob Evans is offering free dine-in breakfast entree.
- Applebee’s is also offering a free meal from several featured dishes.
- At Longhorn Steakhouse, receive a free Texas Tonion appetizer and beverage.
- At Olive Garden, receive a free meal from a special menu.
- Buffalo Wild Wings is offering free small wings and a side of fries on Nov. 11 for active and retired service members.
- Chili’s will give veterans and active military a free entree on Veteran’s Day on Nov. 11.
- Fazoli’s is offering free spaghetti with meat sauce or marinara for veterans and active military.
- Golden Corral will provide a free thank you dinner for veterans and active duty members.
- Logan’s Road House will give a free meal to veterans and active duty military from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Nov. 11
- O’Charley’s: Free meal for veterans and active-duty military on Nov. 11. Free meal can be ordered from the restaurant’s $9.99 menu. Show military ID or proof of service.
- Panera Bread: Free breakfast sandwich at participating locations on Nov. 11. Available until 10 a.m. Show military ID. Not all locations are participating, so call in advance.
- TGI Fridays: Free lunch-menu item up to $12 for those who have served. Promo runs 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time. This promo also includes the Big Ribs entree in the half-rack portion. Military guests will also receive a $5 coupon for future use. Dine-in only.
- White Castle: Free combo meal, including breakfast combos, for all veterans and active military. This promotion will run all day Sunday, November 11, 2018. No other purchase is required. Present military ID.
- Cracker Barrel: Veterans can enjoy a free double chocolate Coca-Cola cake or a Crafted Coffee.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Free donut for veterans and active-duty military on Nov. 11. Show military ID. Not purchase necessary, while supplies last. Limit one per customer.
- Huddle House: Free sweet cakes for the military on Nov. 11. Active and retired military, all day. Please provide military ID.
- Red Lobster: On Sunday and Monday, Red Lobster is offering a free appetizer or dessert with proof of service. Veterans and active duty can choose from six appetizers or five desserts.
- Ruby Tuesday: The chain will offer a free appetizer with proof of service all day Sunday.
- Outback Steakhouse: Free Bloomin’ Onion and beverage to guests with a military ID on Veterans Day.
- SportsClips: Free haircut with proof of service. Valid at participating locations only.
- CiCi’s Pizza: Free buffet on Veterans Day, including pizza, salad, desserts and more.
- IHOP: Free red, white and blue pancakes with blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream.
- Krispy Kreme: Active military and veterans get one free donut and a small coffee on Sunday.
- Little Caesar’s: The pizza joint will offer its typical $5 lunch of four slices and a 20-ounce beverage for free to veterans and active military from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Starbucks: Veterans, active duty and military spouses are able to get a free 12-ounce coffee all day Sunday.