Take a sip of this pumpkin-themed cocktail.
Rum, pumpkin, and citrus flavors. What’s not to like?
Roderick Groetzinger, bar chef at Sermet’s Southernterranean Cuisine-Bar in James Island, South Carolina, has created a delicious pumpkin-themed cocktail that you have got to try for yourself. The Proper Pumpkin mixes sweet and citrus flavors with that all too familiar taste of pumpkin.
But to make this drink yourself, you’ll first have to make Roderick’s Pumpkin-Chai Tea Infused Rum. And, lucky for all of us, he shared the recipe.
Pumpkin-Chai Tea Infused Rum
- 2 Chai Tea tea bags
- 2 Pumpkin Tea tea bags
- 1 bottle White Rum
- Empty one bottle of white rum into a plastic container.
- Add the Pumpkin Tea and Chai Tea tea bags to the white rum.
- Let sit for 2 hours, then return to the bottle.
The Proper Pumpkin
- 1.5 oz Pumpkin-Chai Tea Infused Rum
- .25 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao
- .25 oz. Honey
- .25 oz. Cointreau
- .25 oz. Lemon Juice
- 5 Dashes of Bittermens Tiki Bitters (you can find these at liquor stores)
- 1 orange
- Fill a coupe glass with ice and water to chill and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir 15-20 times.
- Pour out ice and water from the chilled coupe glass. Strain mixed ingredients into the coupe glass. Garnish with a twist or orange. Bonus tip from the pros: using a thin slice of orange peel, twist the peel over the glass to release its oil and rub it around the rim of the glass before dropping it into the drink.
A word to the wise: this is a sipping drink. So take your time and enjoy this unique taste of fall.
Don’t want to make your own fall flavored cocktail? Try one of these Heartland Harvest brews!