Stroll, bike, skate and more along the banks of the Mississippi River
We’re pedaling across the Heartland this weekend. That’s because May is National Bike Month.
You’re encouraged to pull your set of wheels out of the garage and take a breath of fresh air. Here’s where:
- The City of Cape Girardeau is celebrating National Bike to Work & School Day 2019! Meet us at the Osage Centre on May 3, 2019, and give up your car for a day of fun physical activity. The event begins at 6:15 a.m. and the ride starts at 6:45 a.m. The event includes free breakfast, free t-shirts, raffle prizes, bike obstacle course, free helmet, and free bike maintenance. Riders will get a Cape Police ATV Escort!
- Bike Scavenger Hunt: bike to as many locations as you can during the month of May, post your pictures on social media using the hashtag #BikeCdale2019, and win prizes! CLICK HERE for details and to sign up.
- Bike Scavenger Hunt KIDS EDITION: bike to as many locations or doing specific activities during the month of May, post your pictures on social media using the hashtag #BikeCdale2019, and win prizes! CLICK HERE for details.
- Group Ride: Kick off #BikeMonth on Wednesday, May 1 with a group ride along the new downtown bikeway, around SIU and back downtown. After the ride, check out local businesses. Meet in the City parking lot across the street from The Newell House at 5:30 pm. If you have questions or would like more information, contact Tricia Burns at (618) 457-3257.
- Bike Safety Check: Swing by the Carbondale Farmer’s Market on Saturday, May 4, and let The Bike Surgeon Carbondale give you a bike once over.
- Family Fun Ride: Visit Lenus Turley Park on Saturday, May 11 for our Family Fun Ride sponsored by the Neighborhood Co-op Grocery! Get your bike checked by Phoenix Cycles, decorate your bike and ride with your family along the bike route in Murdale. Collect all the stamps along the route and get a #BikeMonth t-shirt!
- Bike to Work Week: Get out and ride your bike to work, May 13-19. Check out the new bike map to plan your route on the City’s designated bikeways.
- Mountain Bike Building: Come hydrated, fed and ready for a day of physical fun building mountain bike trails at Touch of Nature Environmental Center on Saturday, May 25. Meet the Center’s knowledgable staff in the parking lot at Camp I, learn the basics and help add something beautiful to the community.
- Annual Bicycle Luncheon: Join the City of Carbondale on Friday, May 31 at Lenus Turley Park for our annual luncheon sponsored by the Neighborhood Co-op Grocery. Grab your friends, ride your bike and enjoy lunch on us! Plus, enter to win prizes and giveaways.
RELATED: Bike to Work