Try it at home
Love it or hate it…pumpkin spice is back in season.
The Southern Weekend traveled to the Local Buzz Cafe in Rosewood, S.C. to learn how they make their home-made pumpkin spice lattes from scratch.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar (depends on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (plus more for serving)
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee or cup hot espresso
- whipped cream for serving
- Add milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until hot, but do not boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and the coffee.
- Divide the mixture between two mugs and top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you probably have everything you need to make it already! Mix the following spices in a jar:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground cloves
If you’d like to make your pumpkin spice latte with espresso, here’s how to substitute.
Espresso Substitute: Sub. 1/3 to 1/2 cups of strong brewed coffee is equal to 1 to 2 shots of espresso.
Want to make frothed milk without a steamer? Just shake milk in a mason jar until bubbly and heat in microwave for just a few seconds to warm.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN